Thursday, October 05, 2006

Empty Nest

I hauled everything out to the curb. Loaded it up in black plastic bags and left it for the garbage man. The beer bottles I found under his bed. The coke can with spent cigarette butts in the closet. The borrowed clothes never returned, I didn’t know who they belonged to…and the styles have changed, anyway. I chucked the weight set into the woods…too heavy for the trash, and I’m too tired to bury them in this cemetery I call a yard.

And then I sat down and cried.


A prom picture, marred by a beer bottle ring , was stuck to the entertainment center you hauled home from the trash. I spent 15 minutes peeling it off the glass shelf, before I pitched the found five -shelf treasure and gently buried the picture in my top dresser drawer. A trophy, your engraved name missing, toppled sideways, stood lonely in the corner of the room. What piece of furniture did you take with you, that left this plastic soldier exposed? I dusted it off, and laid it to rest in the kitchen cabinet. Receipts for things I never knew you owned, were smeared onto the vacant floor. Every now and then, pennies, nickels, quarters…lazily tossed amidst them.

I opened the windows and let the fresh air in. Noticed that even in your going, you were coming, The screen was propped just so. I’ll miss you . Precious child of mine.

Wings
I pray they are mighty

10 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

bitter sweet

Me said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Me said...

That actually bought a tear to my eye.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

I'm still not used to my son being gone. It seems so strange that once I was so close to him and now he has his own life, apart from me. That is as it should be and it makes me sad, but happy that he is doing well. He deserves his own life and I would not try to keep him from it, but I do miss him.

singleton said...

Thank you guys.

singleton said...

Glorybe,
It is so true, you turn around backwards and a lifetime has gone by...And suddenly, amidst these empty walls, I wonder....Did I give them enough,love them enough, teach them enough, build strong enough wings...
This was my youngest, the last to topple from the nest..
Love grows...

Anonymous said...

You have done a wonderful job!
Just as when he was but a little thing, he'll continue to run where he wants and he may stumble & scab his knees over, but he'll get back up, brush his hands, turn his head, look over his shoulder & he'll get up and go again, sometimes changing directions...just like he did when he was but a wee little thing.

Anonymous said...

We give them roots when they are young and wings when they are ready to fly~

Anonymous said...

You gave them everything they ever wanted and needed..YOU!!!
They will treasure you forever; and forever, be thankful.
Be proud of the encouragment you gave them and how you prepared them for the second phase of life.
Wonderful job, Singleton!!
The "empty nest" will once again fill up slowly. Take a breath now and enjoy what peace you have!
Thinking of you and praying.
Love,
Corinne

singleton said...

hey, have I told you guys lately how wonderful you are? Thank you for all the words, I feel the hugs.