Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Circle....

I don't know where we got it from or how it started. The peace~love thing. I don't remember a beginning and I hope I don't live long enough to know an end. There are 12 long years, a borrowed make-shift umbilical cord stretched to the max, between us. My brothers and sisters and Me.

The five of us...straight from the pages of The Glass Castle....digging for peace in the damndest of places.....

Chanty boy, my charge from early on.....riding the hump of Million's green van (Long before car seat laws, my friend), rocking out to Deep Purple and Led on the eight track.....unable to speak the King's English then or even now...."How old are you, Chanty?" and at five or six or seven, he would splay two chubby fingers and cheer! ......and we would chorus "Yes! Two! You are peace, sweet Baby!" His china doll face fixed forever in a crooked smile, drooling, sometimes croaking.....His mere presence in a society that still held hospitals for babies of his like, startling. And the beginning of change.

Skinny with her flowers....knocking on doors....."The little angel" they used to call her....the neighborhood shut-ins, the eccentrics, and ghosts..... She'd borrow from the best groomed lawns and the roadway median....bundles of finely pruned roses and wild catch~me~if~you~can's....and pass them out like summer showers.....sudden and welcome. Love. Full of spit and fire.

Kimbies, with her open arms....always, anything, everything. Tadpoles and Mama Frogs, hermit crabs and puppies with patches, conch shells and bait fish. She'd fetch them all home, scooch them into the circle.....Love them until their wings were mended. Or until we buried them rightly in the backyard, popsicle stick tombstones and all.....At thirteen, she started fetching home people.....
And the door is still open.....
Screen door banging in the wind....Crabcakes and cupcakes on the barbeque grill......
Willie Nelson and the Beatles on the hi-fi, blowing in the breeze....

Curty Boy with his big brown eyes, humming. Smiling. Toting luggage ten times his size. Teaching us, if not the world, that "it is what it is". And sometimes you just have to live with it. Be brave. And strong. And fearless. "Peace~love for you" .....his only salutation, his signature devotion.


Peace~love

Everything in between is just a roadtrip......

24 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

Ohhhhhoooo! I missed my daily dose of Singleton live! It's just after midnight & I have been on the phone for 3 and a half hours! As much as I loved it...I sure did miss your voice sisterlove!
Where sis it all start? Lol...must of been Nana with her go-go boots! ;)

singleton said...

I love,love, love you sisterchild! Miss my daily dose and here I am spilling out love letters to the world........Muah! And yeah, I think there was magic in those knee high patent leathers!

SHE said...

singtome: so precious, your entire family, your unique personalities, your wonderful real life stories

and with what love, talent, creativity you lift and celebrate each member, each memory

"to families!" much love and lottsa peace, ~s.

~Babs said...

Five hearts, five lives.
Separate and not.
Beauty-filled post!

I always wanted a brother,,but I guess God knew how I'd need sisters more. I'm glad you got both.

Lola Starr said...

So wonderful-you guys are so so lucky to have that bond. And I love the line-"It is what it is." My new mantra. Much love and peace!

skinnylittleblonde said...

Lol,Sister...just thought, once again, of another bit of wisdom eeked from the mouth of Curty Boy...'Ain't nuthin' easy & if you find something that is easy, then it's probably effed up.' Lol

singleton said...

she....
Oh I have a feeling your knit is golden laced too.....you got it right, to "families"! They rock! Much love sweet friend

Babs....Well, we wanted one so bad, we went out and got one! And I'll remember forever, as if it were yesterday, the moment he arrived.....two months old with giant mudpuddle eyes and cotton candy hair.....I didn't know he was coming that day at all....I just knew he was coming....one day....if we were blessed enough. I piled outa the carpooling wagon and lumbered up the drive, pink Batman lunchbox in hand, and Kimbies came flying down the driveway, arms flailing, gazelle legs flying.....long brown braids dancing.....
"Happy Birthday,
Happy, happy, happy Birthday!" She bellowed........
And then we were three!

Karma.....Oh, and he's gotta lot more where that one came from.....Good ones too! Peace~love little one!

SweetSLB.......And how about the "JC, Sibs, you know if you wanna keep a secret, you gotta tell everybody first, so we know it's a damn secret!" :)

Peace~love
May the circle be unbroken

Princess Pointful said...

You are peace.
How delicious is that?

skinnylittleblonde said...

lol...yes! I love that one! It's so damn true in our circle!

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful memoir! Love it.

Shalom, my friend.

Maithri said...

Sister love,

I feel
the curve of
love
reaching
for you

Embracing
every wild
and peaceful
place in
your heart

and then flyin
free to connect
you
electrically
to the world...

May your circle be
blessed dear friend

Your love
Your peace
Your light

Inspire this wounded man
every single day.

Sending you my love to add
to the circle of peace..

It will be
unbroken
by and by,

I know,

M

Sandy Kessler said...

peace circle on parade I love it ..if only there were more ...

Shimmerrings said...

Everything for a reason, under the Sun...

Peace...

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I liked the 8-Track imagery the most.

Gill said...

Love this. So lucky you are to have such a loving, beautiful family.
That you realize it is even more impressive. It says so much about you. Don't go changin
xoxo
Gillian

SpongyBones said...

Teaching us, if not the world, that "it is what it is". And sometimes you just have to live with it. Be brave.

Clincking to this now! So glad I stopped by and grabbed this line from you today! You Rock!

SpongyBones said...

Can I borrow your wisdom for my blog?

singleton said...

Princess....
I believe in Peace. And that in itself is delicious. Bless you, baby, you rock!


skinny....oh, we should get him going on the latest totem pole! Lord knows what he would come up with! ILYSVVM!

Saintly....And I pray everyday that each new day is another page in the life of us ragamuffins, that we have the gift of good times coming, and each one, a new memory....waiting to be tattle-telled!

Maithri....
you clinked me with perfect timing,
sent prayers of peace on
gilded wings....
How can you possibly know when and where and why?
And you do.....
Peace, my friend,
and thank you....

Sandy.....And if we all lined up, I have a feeling you'd be carryin' the flag.... Much love, sweet girl....

Ultra....i kinda miss' em...and him, Million....and that damned green van....Oh, the times.......

Blue...Muah! I know you know the circle....I hear it echoed with your own, your Mama, youngins, friends.... the circle rocks!

Spongy.....Yeah, you and Curty boy would have a helluva time porch sittin'....Skinny and Kimbies and I dancin' to the passing Friday night traffic..... And you don't have to borrow anything....What's mine is yours...... Peace~love my friend.....

Peace~love my friends
May the circle be unbroken....
I'll grow wings again, don't think I don't think of you all, just treading water
and weaving grapevine wreaths
from seaweed.....
Soon, my friends....
Keep your porchlights on......

Chris Benjamin said...

You and me
Sittin' in the back my memory
Like a honey bee
Buzzin' 'round a glass of sweet Chablis
-the great j.prine

my brother used to blog, but he seems to have stopped. i love your connections and connectedness.

eric1313 said...

But...

When you mix peace and love with a roadtrip, the fire can be most spectacular.

Or so I've been told. Goes good with everything, you know?

So glad to catch back up with you.

I'll have to post again, too. It's been a while, that's for certain. Still cold as heck up here. I bet you've already been to the beach this year. One day, I'd love to come down there during the holidays and swim on Christmas day, all day, until the shiny steel drum sun sets into the water and turns it all to liquid fire and gold.

eric1313 said...

That would be some peace that I would surely love.

kj said...

i know your family, singleton. do you know mine as well?

the power of friendship reaches above and below. you are each survivors. i know that because your stories are so real and beautiful.

(take care)

No said...

another bit of wisdom eeked from the mouth of Curty Boy...'Ain't nuthin' easy & if you find something that is easy, then it's probably effed up.'

Wow...isn't that the truth?

singleton said...

Benji.....Oh Lord, My connectedness is terribly lacking of late, I'm spinnin' in circles and backtracking and standing in place at the same time! I'm trying, friend, I'm trying....Pass the Chablis, please...

Eric...Ha! We didn't swim on Christmas Day! New Years, maybe! I've missed you sweet friend, here's to the Tides turning! Welcome back to the walls.....the halls....the porch....
Party soon!

KJ....I know you know I know....and...you know I know you know...and the circle grows...Peace~love my friend

No...He has the most simple takes on profound life....And we listen...

Peace~love my friends
It rocks