Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Now....

It's 93 degrees on my porch and one by one, I shear off the legs from a stack of hand me down levis... These are for Skinny, this pair for Kimbies, a ratty tatty pair for myself. I reach down and wind my hair up into a knot, thread a bic pen threw it to keep it off my neck. I'm melting. And I smile. The broken AC is paying for how may nights at the beach?

I lug a giant tupperware box into the kitchen and start tossing necessary evils into it....salt, pepper, a cork screw, the camera, sidewalk chalk, a flashlight, paper fortune tellers, packs of no name cigarettes. We go without eating at home, we won't need much food at the beach....And I smile.

I wander through the house with a Winn Dixie bag and a peace backpack chocking random things in at will....the last bikini's I'll ever wear, magic markers and paper, little Love postcards for playing Pixies. I wonder for the last time where I left my little suitcases...what rendevous I came home from bagless...and what priceless pair of old jeans were lost in the leaving. And I smile at my makeshift luggage.

Less than 48 hours....

And we'll all be home...

12 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

:) Sigh...you just dont wanna know. I have not gathered item one...supposed to work my usual 9-730 tomm and then I guess I will put my jolly green giant theory to the test and be on the road by this time tomm. ILYSVM&CW2CU

singleton said...

Today the magic word is Tomorrow, love!

Counting hours now, and it won't be the jolly green giant that sends you packing, it'll be a little yellow butterfly that flutters by and reminds you that you have wings:) ILYSVVFM and cant wait to see you!

KarmaLennon said...

Have fun you guys!!!! :)

i beati said...

Hallejuyah!!!go girls and guys and butterflies everywhere !!

singleton said...

karma and Ibeati...woo~hoo! 22 hours to go! Oh, the storieswe'll come home with:)

singleton said...

17!

SHE said...

"thank God for sisters! -and beaches.. -and butterflies

-and beer..

"e-cheers! from cali"

love, peace, safe travels ~s.

Shimmerrings said...

Oooohhh... fun... and Love... and more fun!

kj said...

are you reading this at the beach, singleton?

why oh why do i take so long to visit your blog? i saw your recent comment at maithri's and i had a sudden sadness at missing you--honest to god.

so don't forget me, okay?

and where are you in relation to fort lauderdale?

love love
kj

Spadoman said...

I can see the blondness at the beach. Are you sporting pony tails? Have fun, I'll be on the motorcycle most of June and August and in the van with Grandkids all of July.

Peace.

secret agent woman said...

Just did the family beach trip myself eariler this month. Enjoy!

Justgivemepeace said...

She...Oh Girl, the time zoomed by and we're already counting again....345 days to go...until Now is on our doorstep again. I know you know...

Shimmerings....oh, the stories we'll tell.... or not:) The magic of the summer.....priceless!

Spado....happy travels friend....Free, wheels spinning! And funny that you mention it, we never bothered for pony tails...we were just pixies in the wind:)

Secret Agent...So nice to meet you! And I can tell you know exactly how wonderful it is....the get~away, the peace, the magic:)

WOW! My letter verification is
"Water"! Oh, I sooooooo feel something pulling on my heartstrings!