Friday, December 29, 2006

KEEPER

A heart shaped shell, tumbled in a thousand tides, grainey and wrinkled, tossed at my barefeet...a keeper

An abondoned birdsnest, delicately woven, lined with glad-bag trash and the neighbor's Christmas tree tinsel...a keeper. I pruned the tree and left one branch up and three branches down, a tribute to peace, and a Mother's determination. Even empty nests bring comfort.

Marbles, twirled and swirled, blown glass spun in a circle...pocketed by little boys, rolled on wooden floors....found 23 years later buried in Georgia clay... a sister's keeper.

Silver shoes, 3 inches high, scuffed just at the toe... glitter faded, straps stretched out....toe prints on their soles...Keepers

Pisces man with a wrinkled face, and a wrinkled smile and a Coors light in his hand....reaching over, diving in, embracing his "you still look 21 to me" gorgeous wife collapsing at his side....and saying "WE CAN DO THIS. IT's OK. I LOVE YOU".... Keeper

Christmas card with a Magpie poem ....Keeper

Wedding album, mildewed and tossed, pages eaten by hungary moths and uninvited roaches, chocked full of random papers, the key to your past...A keeper....meant to be lost for 20 years and found on a rainy Friday..to be wrapped up in Christmas paper and bows and passed onto my child with so many questions.....I apologize if i haven't told the stories right...memories are sometimes made-up as you go, but I love you, and unedited, this book, stuffed with the truth is a keeper....

Beer bottle caps. Damp from the chill. Tossed in a painted gourd. Collected year round, from Friday nights out, Sunday night cries....And later touched by the pen or the brush of a Magpie...reincarnated into jewels and sillies and ornaments...tossed amongst loved ones like fairy dust...keepers

Tattoos....You're stuck with them. Love it. Because you damn sure can't leave it. A permanent salute to the moment....keeper.
(And I am at this moment contemplating a yellow butterfly...come Paigey, and Kimbies, and Corinne, Linda, and Judy and Curty and Haley and Noah and Christine and Anna and Amber and Arianna Olivia and Peyton and Alana and Kyle and Stone and Tami and Dad-O and Grand-C and Chancellor and Scott and Annie and Nadine and Stan and JR and Jimmy Mac and Peggie and Badri and Sheila Anne and Tim and Papa and Nicky and Rumors and Joe and RCK and Vicci and Anne and Orhan and San Marino and everyone and everything that makes the butterfly effect so very very yellow...)

Keepers...May the New Year be Blessed with all we cherish....
and all we've yet to discover.................

6 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

You, my dear, are a keeper ... more valued to me than all the marbles, heart-shaped stones, dirty old bottles, buried street signs,birds nests or hand-me-down levis's ever found. ILY & already miss you.
I beleive in the yellow butterfly & the magpie fairies & will not forget pulling into your driveway last week, opening my car door, throwing one foot out, pivoting to throw pocketbook, camera & such over my shoulder, pivoting back to lift my rump from my carseat & seeing that perfectly shaped heart shaped rock at my feet. Should you opt to get a tattoo of a butterfly, I would understand, even like it, and definitely I would accept it...like a heart-shaped rock or an old marble. ILY

JustRun said...

That is very beautiful and gives a nice perspective on what we ought really consider worth keeping in our lives. The best to you this year.

me and the other me said...

ah singleton,
your writing... definitely a keeper. i hope you never ever stop. and know that even when you don't hear from me, i am reading and laughing or crying out loud.

DirkStar said...

Knock, knock. Anybody home?

Me said...

As beautiful as always! Much <3!

shola said...

Just stopping by to wish you a happy new year!